[CQ-Contest] Rule Changes for the CQ WW WPX SSB and CW Contests in 2021

Richard Smith n6kt1 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 16 17:30:18 EST 2020

 Hi Bud,
I'm wondering where the need for these suggested rule changes comes from. I haven't heard complaints from operators of this contest, but maybe there are complaints that I don't know about.
I guess I'm also wondering why this contest needs to be more like other contests. One of the things that makes each contest interesting is the differences in the rules. The WPX is unique among the major contests in that the multipliers are prefixes, each prefix counting once regardless of band. Low-band QSOs are worth more QSO points than high-band QSOs. Operating time for Single-Operators is 36 hours maximum. The exchange includes a serial number.
The WPX contest requires different strategy and somewhat different skills than other major contests. Off-times are required. Single-Ops get more off-time than in other major contests. Again, I'm wondering why the WPX, with all of its unique and interesting differences from other major contests, needs to be more like other contests, especially RTTY contests?  Why take something that works well and is very popular and change it?  The WPX Contest is a great contest as it is.
I suggest that you reconsider making changes to something that is working very well.
73, Rich, N6KT