[CQ-Contest] Rule Changes for the CQ WW WPX SSB and CW Contests in 2021

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 19:52:48 EST 2020

On 11/16/2020 3:22 PM, jimk8mr at aol.com wrote:
> I see two bad, or at least less than desirable features:
>

> 1.  The same country/same zone limit is way too loose. The guy at the
> station in Maine messages the station in Miami "I can't raise this BY
> mult here on 15. Can you QSY to work him?"  Something along the lines
> of 150 mile radius would be better.
>
 >> Except that they would be competing against other stations that
could do exactly the same thing, and is part of what I meant when I said
that it opens up some interesting strategy considerations.  I'll repeat
... this is a new and separate category, it's not a change to the
traditional M/M category like you stated.<<

> 2. Contests are better served by having lots of different stations to
> work. If multiple stations show up in the contest as one station,
> that's fewer people for everybody else to work.
>
 >>The number of M/M entries compared to the number of single op entries
is marginal at best.  I don't see this new category as changing that
situation ... and if it does it simply means that it is a popular idea.
Why would that be bad?<<

> I don't see "lesser stations" having much fun collaborating when the
> competition or benchmark is the group that sucks up all the good
> rent-a-stations for the weekend.
>
 >>You mean like already happens for various single op categories???
How is this any different?<<

> 73  -  Jim  K8MR

I'm not trying to be a cheerleader for this new category, but I don't
see what all the fuss is about it.  I think there are more valid
complaints about the changes to unassisted operation.

73,

Dave   AB7E