[CQ-Contest] Rule Changes for the CQ WW WPX SSB and CW Contests in 2

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Nov 17 11:34:30 EST 2020

Bud & Everyone—de Mike VE9AA

I’ve only submitted logs for ‘WPX since 1997-before that I couldn’t be
bothered with fumbling with paper or mailing floppy disks.

All my efforts in ‘WPX for the past 23 years though have been UNassisted,
(with the exception of a 2012 10M-only effort, where I presume I was hoping
to hunt 10M DXCC countries when we still had a few sunspots popping up
(remember those?).

The majority of my efforts are seemingly split between a 15-17hour effort
and then a lot of them are in the 29-36hr range
.presumably based on how I
was feeling or how it was going, other responsibilities etc.

That being said, it’s a sad day when perceived (or real) cheaters now get to
dictate that to be competitive I *HAVE* to operate assisted or curtail my
efforts at an arbitrary 24hr cutoff <and be deprived of SO2R if I choose to
use it>.( I am about a 50%er SO2R guy)

I would hazard that about ½ of us like to do UNassisted,. so why should we
be made to pay for the ones who cheat (or like to do assisted efforts)?

Makes no sense to me.  Hal W1NN brings up some good points. (I’ve copied his
comments below my signature line.)

With respect

Mike VE9AA

CU (all of a sudden) in the next one.

Keswick Ridge, NB

de W1NN

Hal Offutt <hal at japancorporateresearch.com
<mailto:hal%40japancorporateresearch.com> >

Every time this subject comes up here, the overwhelming response is:  Leave
the Unassisted category alone.

Why hasn't this message been received?

Why must we wake up to discover that unidentified persons have suddenly
changed the rules we have followed for years without the slightest effort to
check with participants?  That's not the way things are supposed to work in
today's world.  Ever heard of stakeholders?

This contest belongs to all of us, not just to the current managers and
whoever else happens to be on the inside now.  Yes, some of you put in
countless hours to manage this event and produce the results and we are very
appreciative.  But this should not give you license to change important
rules willy-nilly.  We participants - and especially those of us who have
been regular full-time operators - make this contest what it is and our
opinions ought to matter.

The results of the WPX contest indicate a very clear preference for
unassisted operating among single op entrants.  In both the SSB and CW
weekends, a substantial majority of logs submitted by single ops have been
in the Unassisted category every single year for the past 10 years.  Over
the past five years, 54-57% of CW single ops were unassisted, while for SSB
the numbers were 62-63%.  Among US ops, the preference for Unassisted versus
Assisted is even stronger.  There is absolutely no mandate or justification
for making this change.

The points made by EI1DI (below) are spot on.  They are worth reading again.

Please reconsider this incomprehensible decision.

73, Hal W1NN