[CQ-Contest] Rule Changes for the CQ WW WPX SSB and CW Contests in 2021

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 12:45:49 EST 2020

While I'm not particularly bothered by the change (seen it coming for a while now), I'm not so sure it won't have an impact. The fact that Unassisted entrants have outperformed Assisted entrants doesn't necessarily mean that assistance doesn't improve scores. You have to take station capability, location and operator skill into account, too. QSO spotting probably would have had little percentage impact on the huge score WA1Z put up at KC1XX this year -- he would have dominated the field in any case. But it's not clear what the result would be if you compare two more-or-less evenly matched ops/stations/locations, one using QSO spotting and the other not using it.

I think it’s possible that higher QSO totals, and therefore higher mult totals, can be achieved with "point-and-shoot" versus "tune and listen". The most obvious advantage is that with a spot you know you haven't worked the station and in many cases it'll be worth waiting for the previous QSO to finish. With Unassisted, you might wait only to find out that you've worked the station already. The caveat, of course, is that packet spots are often wrong, so you still have to listen for the callsign to confirm it, and sometimes it'll turn out that you've already worked the spotted station. That's one reason that in the few cases I I've entered the Assisted category in WPX and other contests, I've used local CW Skimmer for spots rather than packet. Skimmer makes mistakes, too, but fewer of them. Another small advantage is that you don't have to type in the callsign (unless, of course, the packet spot is wrong.)

I think it's also an advantage that you don't have to touch the tuning knob and can hop around the band from station to station.

On the other hand, another possible explanation for Unassisted ops traditionally beating Assisted ops is that Assisted ops might focus too much attention on chasing spots and not enough time optimizing rates on the run radio. As Randy says, it's a run contest. That said, it seems to me that point-and-shoot will boost QSO totals more than tune-and-listen when rates are slow on the run radio.

2BSIQ adds yet another complication that I think may even the playing field. When two bands are open, 2BSIQ is going to be far more productive than S&P, so much so that spotting might not make any material difference.

73, Dick WC1M