[CQ-Contest] Are You Kidding Me??

Jeff Blaine KeepWalking188 at ac0c.com
Sat Nov 21 12:51:30 EST 2020

It's interesting the original rationale for this included references to
the "that's how we do it in the CQ WPX RTTY version."  While that's true
- the RTTY WPX has no separate unassisted category, I certainly wish it
were not that way.  And a suggestion that not having the unassisted
option there does not make any sense to me but as I came late to the
RTTY contest party, it was that way when I arrived.

I suppose an argument could be made that it's difficult to enforce guys
who are using assistance from those who are not may be true.  And
contest adjudication has got to be a miserable and certainly thankless task.

But with this assistance unification logic, I guess power should be
next.  Following the same rationale, there are surely guys claiming LP
but running an amp.  And that's a headache to try to figure out and in
reality given the variables they are just too hard to catch.  So we need
to get rid of the power categories next - just to be consistent.

I certainly hope this trend of elimination of categories does not
continue with other contests.  In fact the only way I have a chance to
score a national win against AA3B in a RTTY contest is to run
unassisted.  But that's fine because Bud always runs assisted and I
prefer unassisted.  Unassisted let's me run all the time which is great
because I'm fundamentally lazy and don't like chasing those pesky spots
that pop up and disturb my dualing CQ syncronization!  ha ha

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com