[CQ-Contest] Are you kidding me (AC0C comments)

Douglas Zwiebel dougzzz at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 16:19:27 EST 2020

Jeff notes that RTTY WPX has no separate unassisted category.

Perhaps (maybe?) the answer is in the rules.

Look at WPX Rule IX.2 (QSO alerting...) definition

SNIP
The use of any technology that provides CALLSIGN identification of a signal
to the operator (minor editing on my part).  On CW, even use of a CW coder
makes you assisted.
END SNIP

Well, I know there are a lot of really great CW ops out there, but I don't
think anybody can decode RY by listening to it (except maybe a CQ or a
string of RYs).

So it is impossible to NOT use technology to identify the callsign...hence,
no "unassisted" category (because every entrant MUST be assisted, per the
WPX definitions).

Does that pass the smell test?  I dunno.

de Doug KR2Q