[CQ-Contest] Are you kidding me (AC0C comments)

Jeff Blaine KeepWalking188 at ac0c.com
Sat Nov 21 19:11:35 EST 2020

In the RU and the CQ DX, there are seperate specific categories. Here's
how the CQ WW DX contest lists it:

*2. QSO finding assistance:* The use of any technology or other source
that provides call sign or multiplier identification of a signal to the
operator, other than a single-channel RTTY decoder. This includes, but
is not limited to, use of a wide-band multi-channel RTTY decoder, DX
cluster, DX spotting web sites (e.g., DX Summit), local or remote call
sign and frequency decoding technology (e.g., RTTY Skimmer or Reverse
Beacon Network), or operating arrangements involving other individuals.

In normal human language, that means having your N1MM cluster connected,
for example, so that the spots are populated in the program.  It also
means having an eye on DX Summit, or using a program that feeds
callsigns onto your bandscope as the Flex and NaP3 apps can.

But the great part about that contest is that I can turn all that stuff
off.  And then I'm unassisted.  I can run to my heart's content and
don't need to bother with spots.  I am at 1-2 skip zones removed from
most of the competition (e.g. AA3B on the East coast) and so I wont'
have near the reach into the EU mults that those guys will.  But if I'm
lucky, I can make up for some of that on run volume especially as I may
be able to hear guys from 7 & 6 land who may be too weak to work off the
beams of guys in 1/2/3 land.  The guys running Assisted can chase those
spots if they think that's where their advantage lies.  I won't be able
to catch a lot of the weaker ones and they take a lot more time
(relative to a more eastern QTH) to work because I'm 1500 miles west.
But with some luck by the end of the contest, some of those rare spots
who don't want to run and fight the endless QRM can S&P and they may
fine me - if so that's great!  Under this scenario, everyone is happy
doing the thing that they do best.

I can't say much about the CW & SSB contests.  I'm a marginal RTTY
contest op, a miserable CW contest op and I don't think I even have an
operational mic here in the shack now.  But more choices lead to more of
a draw for any contest, to my thinking. And combining categories,
further limiting hours and tossing out tradition (hear me on the RTTY is
now DIGITAL, Mr. ARRL guys) seems a bad thing for a hobby that is
dominated by a bunch of old, set in their ways guys who for the most
part respect tradition, play by the rules and look forward to seeing if
they can beat the last year's score.  Of course I'm probably wrong on
most of this. But I did not want the impression that the "see how great
it is in CW WPX RTTY" argument to not stand absent the counter claim.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com