[CQ-Contest] Question about category

Tonno Vahk tonno.vahk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 04:47:54 EDT 2020

Yes, of course you are single op unassisted.

Firstly it is 100% clear that using a human antenna switch does not put you in Assisted category as you are not using any QSO Finding Assistance as clearly defined.

Secondly, Single Operator is defined as : One person (the operator) performs all operating and logging functions.

Any technical help is clearly not logging function. So the only theoretical question remains if it is an operating function.

It is not. It is clear from the intent of the rules, including all other CQWW or ARRL contests for example that operating is the actual operating and making of QSOs, RX and TX on a band.

ARRL in his FAQ even defines it:

“Operating” includes all methods of soliciting and making QSOs.

So is it clear from CQWW Contest Rules when they talk about Operating Time for example. Clearly you are allowed to do any antenna work or fix your transmitter during your breaks. You cannot RX or TX. Operating is actually making QSOs on a particular band.

There are many other examples from rules or FAQ that show the same logic.

So Single Op is allowed technical assistance, using a human antenna rotator for example. He is allowed receiving food or massage, whatever:)

Maybe a respective clarification in CQWW FAQ would be helpful though.

73
Tonno
ES5TV