[CQ-Contest] DSP units with great noise reduction

Michael Walker va3mw at portcredit.net
Thu Oct 22 10:36:38 EDT 2020

John

I have to say that 80% of the noise that impacted me on the low bands (and
even 2M) was in my house.  The worst was a Cisco switch that wiped out from
1Mhz - 240Mhz.  It was the switch I was using in the shack.  It had some
amazing broad spurs that landed on key RF frequencies.

I spent a few days going around with a Handheld that had AM on it and
narrowing it down.  I replaced about a dozen wall chargers (Garmin and
Apple being the worst).

I added Mix 31 and 43 chokes to both ends of every feedline depending on
the frequency.  This also includes DC power cables.  I ended up buying
about 100 of each and I have used most of them.

It was the Yankee Contest Clipper Club document on choking that got me to
dig in further into my own home.  I would share the link, but I think it
would be stripped out.  You can easily Google it.

If you have 100% eliminated everything internal to your QTH, that you can
ignore my comments.  hi hi

Good luck in the contest, Mike va3mw