[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest Multioperator Station Guidelines

Randy Thompson k5zd at outlook.com
Fri Oct 23 17:52:30 EDT 2020

Thanks for the background.  It explains a lot.  Especially the lack of seeking inputs from the broader contesting community in advance of the decision.  I find it particularly curious that the main impetus for this idea came from Europe and not from the core W/VE constituents of ARRL.

I get that things are different due to Covid.  However, it doesn't make sense to fundamentally change multi-op contest rules far away from the concept of a station to a group of stations sharing a callsign.  If this had been introduced as a *new* category, it would have made a lot more sense.  You would have accomplished your goals of providing a new outlet for ' team contesting' without creating an asterisk year where none of the results can count for records or even be comparable with other years.

Should we expect this rule to also infect (so to speak) all other ARRL contests that have a multi-op category?

Contesting will still be fun.  QSOs, scores, and entries will happen.  But, in one move, the nature of contesting dealing with the constraint of station building for multi-op has been altered.

Randy K5ZD