[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest Multioperator Station Guidelines

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Oct 24 14:39:39 EDT 2020

On 10/23/2020 3:24 PM, Mike Smith VE9AA wrote:
> Doesn't it seem wrong to anyone at the ARRL for someone to send an
> exchange,(for example) like "DC" if they live in MD, VA, DE, NJ, PA or
> wherever? (I didn't get out the calipers to determine the exact 100km
> circle, but you get my drift)

I strongly agree.

Consider, by contrast, ARRL's Rule for VUCC operation on a gridline
calls for setup precisely on the line between two grids to claim two
grids, or at the confluence of four to claim four, and they require a
photo of a GPS with the equipment showing lat/lon error no more than a
second.

The real question is, with DC being so small geographically and that it
is a CITY, should it be a contest multiplier at all? A rhetorical
question: How many contest stations are there in the CITY of New York?
Of San Francisco? Of Chicago? All three of which have significantly
greater geographical area than DC. Sadly, the nature of our society is
that it is damn difficult to build a station in a city and operate it,
thanks to limitations of real estate and NOISE.

I lived 42 years in Chicago, and knew of only one other contester who
lived there and operated a few contests. My station was pretty modest,
so not accessible to contesters in much of the world. My current contest
club, NCCC, includes the city of San Francisco, but NONE of our members
operate from stations in the city. N6BV lives in the city, but operates
at N6RO, about 50 miles east. The ARRL San Francisco Section includes a
large area that extends more than a hundred miles north of the city.

73, Jim K9YC