[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest Multioperator Station Guidelines

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Wed Oct 28 12:58:57 EDT 2020

Ria,

You are making the assumption that MM operations have the most
operators. That's not true. With lockouts, in-band radios on run band
and a radio on every band you aren't running on all the time the MS and
Multi-2 categories have as many operators as a MM.

Case in point from 2019 CQWW DX CW :

Multi-Single

LZ5R - 17 operators
E7DX - 13 operators
IR4X - 11 operators
IR4M - 11 operators
ES9C - 14 operators
ED5R - 12 operators
E7DX - 13 operators

Multi-2

ED1R  - 11 operators
HS0ZAR - 14 operators
RT5G -  12 operators
K0OO  - 11 operators

MM (top 6 scores + W3LPL and K3LR)

EF8R - 12 operators
CN3A - 10 operators
PJ2T - 9 operators
CR3W - 6 operators
9A1A - 9 operators
LZ9W - 17 operators

W3LPL - 15 operators
K3LR -  12 operators

On 10/27/2020 11:04 PM, rjairam at gmail.com wrote:
> Quite simply - this rule was meant to allow those who would normally
> participate in an m/m to socially distance themselves. It's not some
> sort of weird fetish or obsession. It's an accommodation to allow
> people more chance to play, in a different sandbox, just for this
> year.
>
> There is less of a danger with M/2 or even M/S as you can easily
> socially distance those. But M/M you have a lot of people in an
> enclosed space. That is the context behind this temporary rule change.
>
> 73
> Ria, N2RJ
>
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 9:32 PM Jeff Clarke <ku8e at ku8e.com> wrote:
>> Ria,
>>
>> I don't understand why you are focusing so much on M/M?  They are a very
>> small percentage of the entities in just about every DX contest? Do the
>> rules have to be written to appease them?  M/S and M2X are much more
>> popular. As I stated in a previous message it's really easy to setup a
>> remote to one station location. Having one call sign at multiple
>> locations is too confusing especially if the are sending separate QTH's
>> in their exchange. Plus it's not fair to those who don't operate at
>> multiple locations because they usually have to deal with some
>> inter-station interference which would be eliminated at separate locations.
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> On 10/27/2020 06:34 PM, rjairam at gmail.com wrote:
>>> Mind you - this is not together with the conventional M/M category. This is
>>> separate. I think this is where the confusion lies.
>>>
>>> 73
>>> Ria