[CQ-Contest] Best CW contest rig

rjairam at gmail.com rjairam at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 06:47:59 EDT 2020

I do like my flex for CW, but it takes getting used to for someone who has
used a conventional rig. The output is pretty clean though I wish they
would do adaptive predistortion. CWX is also nice to use as the built in
keyer but for remote use there is no side tone on third party software. On
the receiver side it was pretty superb, it’s an SDR after all and you can
narrow down all the way without much of an issue.

I used a friend’s K3S and it worked well. Weak or strong signal it was
about on par with the flex. I also used an old K3 (at K2TTT) and it was
just slightly different from the K3S.

I’ve tried the 7851 and about the only thing that was “better” was the
ergonomics for the front panel because it has more room and a nice feel. I
don’t like the rubber buttons on the K3. Audio is a matter of taste. I use
EQ anyway.

These days you really can’t go wrong with any of the top rigs. You would
have to have super human hearing to discern a difference and most of it
comes down to preference and brand loyalty. Most hams I gather won’t even
have normal hearing anyway.

So just pick one and enjoy.

73
Ria