[CQ-Contest] NAQP CW - Rules Changes Needed

Drew Vonada-Smith drew at whisperingwoods.org
Sun Aug 8 15:39:46 EDT 2021

If the majority of operators feel the same way about NAQP, then I suppose a change would be justified.  My interests do not take priority over others'.  But I'd put a much different spin on the conversation.  The idea is not to punitively force assisted into M2, the idea is to have a contest that generally does not use assistance.  I am glad that there are still a few of these around, just like Stew Perry.  There are certainly plenty which include assistance.   Low power and no assistance is what makes this contest different, and for me, fun.

"Without assistance, operating becomes a deadly boring sequence of tune, copy, type the call in, be told it's a dupe, and repeat."

That sentence really surprised me.  What one describes as boring is to me a core skill of contesting.  Doing this quickly *IS* contesting to me, particularly in most of my years with much smaller stations.  And it is still easier unassisted with modern logging tools, because one can maintain a bandmap.  (I've been surprised to find how many folks don't do this.)

I really hope we don't make all contests the same in these regards.

73,
Drew K3PA

Message: 2