[CQ-Contest] A DX Contest on the WARC bands -- A terrible idea

Richard F DiDonna NN3W richnn3w at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 23:04:55 EDT 2021

This might be the worst idea I've heard on cq-contest in quite a while.  We
are a "hated" group by a lot of people: non-contesters, net users, SSTV
operators, SOTA activaters, etc.  As others have mentioned, part of our
reputed claim regarding our legitimacy is the ability for non-contest users
to be able to use WARC bands 24/7 - totally free of contest operations.
Violating that notion can only result in bad things.

Let's also remember that the WARC bands are at most 100 KHz in width, with
30 meters being 50 KHz in width (and we're not primary in some countries).
Things are miserable enough on 40 meter SSB which is effectively 75 KHz in
width (7125 to 7200).  Do we really want to pi$$ off every WARC band user
by taking over the entire spread of 17 and 12 meters.

-Nothing- good will come from this suggestion.

73 Rich NN3W