[CQ-Contest] Delayed Callers

kq2m at kq2m.com kq2m at kq2m.com
Thu Dec 2 22:10:10 EST 2021

Yes, Michael what you describe happens constantly.  But the pileup
"owner and operator"  should be able to immediately hear the guys
continuing to call as soon as he/she finishes giving the exchange - and
then he/she quickly realizes that the exchange just sent was probably
never heard by the station that it was being given to.  And that
evaluation takes into account how loud the callers are, how loud the
station you are working is and how loud you probably are to them and
whether or not they are having problems copying you through qrn and
other crud.

There is a difference between running on 80 and 160 with static crashes
and s5 callers with s9 + 20 local stations qrming you vs. running on 15
and 20 with S9 + 20 signals on a quiet band.  I didn't mention this
before because it is fairly self-evident (at least to me) LOL!.

When my 15 or 20 meter run freq. is clear and I am loud and they are
loud and no one is calling when I finish giving my report, the vast
majority of the exchange "no shows" are multis working someone else on
another band.  Some of them are serial offenders too, contest after
contest.  Until/unless more ops treat them like Fred and I do, they
won't get the message either.  But I don't hold a grudge - this is radio
contesting not brain surgery and nothing crucial is at stake even though
it may feel that way at the time.  :-)   We are all in this to have fun
so if the station comes back later and calls in again I will work them.
I may make them wait a a minute or two while I work another other
stations, but I will work them.  OTOH if they make me wait AGAIN, then I
will simply ignore them or tell them to qsy and stop qrming me.  That's
only happened with one station ever.

73

Bob, KQ2M