[CQ-Contest] Spoofed Spots

Pete Smith N4ZR pete.n4zr at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 21:36:55 EST 2021

Does nobody remember, just a few years ago, that the CQWW Committee
dispatched observers to physically look over the shoulders of
top-scoring ops.  Fortunately, once was enough.  Also, let's not
overstate the problem.  RBN spots are not affected (at least not so
far), and on CW they account for over 99 percent of total spots.

What we need, particularly on SSB, is either the unmasking of the
perpetrator - if it's just one - or implementation of IP-based blocking
of spoofed spots as soon as they are detected.  I've been told that AR
Custer V6 nodes don't record the IPs of spot sources, which might
require a little piece of middleware to log the IPs and block spots from
questionable IPs.

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at<http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite