[CQ-Contest] RTTY contesting; filters

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Feb 16 16:15:35 EST 2021

Not really a RTTY contester, but when I do play, I am constantly bothered by
my rx filtering setup.

I currently run a pair of IC7410's in LSB (AFSK) mode.    On RTTY I am
currently SO1R, but I know how to go about

doing SO2R if I can ever get the filters setup better.

N1MM+

MMTTY

What "seems" to work best (by randomly flailing about) doesn't work very
well.

I don't believe using the RTTY mode (and thus the twin peak filters) will
work, as that is designed for FSK and I would prefer to stick with AFSK, as
I have that working and I don't wish to change any settings or wiring when
going over to SSB.

What works best as a SSB filter and how I do I select that and tailor it?

I tried using a 1.8kHz filter and doing an IF shift totally to the right to
capture the 2125Hz tone, but I think I am going about this all wrong.
Someone said there's a way to select a lower "note" to listen to in MTTY and
filter on that, but I am lost, so reaching out to the experts.

Been on HF, VHF and contesting CW/SSB a long time, but barely dabble in
RTTY.  Feel I could possibly be a little more active if I had some idea how
to set the filters up in these rigs so I don't get clobbered on RX.

Tnx guys

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB