[CQ-Contest] RTTY contesting; filters

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Tue Feb 16 16:27:40 EST 2021

An IF bandwidth of 600 Hz is ideal with our modern software decoders.
(Narrower bandwidth introduces phase shift that degrades copy error rate.)
Older radios often don't allow narrow filtering in SSB mode.  Yes, you want
to shift such that the bandpass is centered on whatever tone pair you use.

I do like lower tones and typically use 915/1085 which is less fatiguing
over long periods.  OTOH, their TX audio harmonic is still within the normal
2 kHz bandwidth for SSB transmitters when transmitting AFSK.  Not a problem
for those of us using FSK.

73,

Ed W0YK