[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest View

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Fri Jan 22 16:27:59 EST 2021

Hey Bob/FCN

How many plaques were available to Canadians vs. Americans in ARRL-DX?
(don't answer, it's rhetorical)

If you can't win 40m LP, I see a few other LP categories you can enter.
SOABLP, SOAB(U) LP or fight for a Division win in using all bands.

That, or buy an amp..

The playing field (for plaques) is not fair in most contests.ARRL is not
special..more than a few times over the years I've sponsored plaques in
CQWPX, STEW PERRY and a couple others etc. and about 25% of the time, I've
ended up winning one.

Sorry - that's contesting !

With respect

Mike VE9AA

GM All

            Some of you may remember this post as I have posted it a few
times in past

            several years.  I love DX contest, tho ARRL's  DX test not so
much...... Why you say?

            OK  for a couple reasons I really enjoy Single Band competition
mostly 40 mtrs.

            Unfortunately ARRL puts me in a disadvantage position,  entering
Single Band.

            I am a life long low power operator and all the DX /Awards/
Whatever

            comes my way sooner or latter ( "All good things come to those
who wait " thank

            you Mr. Cassidy WA6AUD ),  but the disadvantage is as a Single
operator Single band

            I compete against High power op's. Sometimes I come out first
place USA anyway,

            but I know any High Power guy entering even semi-seriously will
blow me away.

            The ARRL does levels the playing field somewhat for ALL Band
entries.  CQ has managed to

            have a distinction between Low Power and High Power for single
band enthusiast for years.

                                         ARRL it's past time to acknowledge
low power guys

            Even if you only put a star or something in your listings.

            If you look at 3830 listings you can see they separate

           ARRL DX Low power from High power but that is only their listing,
not ARRL's.

           Some years I bypass this contest for just this reason.  This year
I have not made up my mind

            yet.      In any case to all who participate enjoy and get a
brief escape from the virus.

                    BoB WA1FCN

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB