[CQ-Contest] Contesting and the FT8 Revolution

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Sat Jul 3 15:29:20 EDT 2021

Dave,

With all due respect there are other lists that are dedicated to digital
modes that this subject can be discussed. It doesn't appear that
contesting.com has a digital reflector anymore ( see
http://lists.contesting.com/) but Groups.io does. See
https://groups.io/g/digitalcontesting I bet lots of people like me are
tired of all the posts about FT8 on the contest reflector. There are
lists for VHF contesting and top band on contesting.com and you don't
see those people posting their gripes on CQ-Contest. Since FT8 is also
specialized mode it should be discussed on a digital reflector and not a
general contesting reflector. Please note I'm not anti-FT8. I operate it
all the time on 6 meters and some of the HF bands because no one seems
to operate CW or SSB outside a contest.

BTW your quote " a mode SIMILAR to FT8 or FT4 but with a different
interface and some different parameters could and should be an excellent
contesting mode i/f it was done properly by somebody who was smart
enough and cared enough to do it/. " seems to be disrespectful towards
Joe Taylor, K1JT. You're aware he is a Nobel Prize laureate in Physics
among other honors? (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Hooton_Taylor_Jr.)  I'm sure he
could easily do what you suggest but have you ever thought that he
didn't envision FT8 to be used for contesting?

Jeff