[CQ-Contest] Contesting and the FT8 Revolution

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 16:41:30 EDT 2021

I've corresponded directly with Joe Taylor a few times in the recent
past on this subject, and I have the deepest respect for his credentials
(yes, I'm fully aware that he is a Nobel Prize laureate) and for what he
has provided in the form of WSJT-X for ham radio. He, however, sees no
benefit in adapting the basic signal processing underlying WSJT-X to a
form more suitable for contesting.  He doesn't dispute that it is
possible ... only that he has no intention of spending the time and
effort on it.  We essentially agreed to disagree.

The fact, however, that 90+ percent of the comments here on the
CQ-Contest reflector are negative toward either FT8 or FT4 as a
contesting mode supports my view on the subject rather than Joe's. We
could be reaping the benefits of much better signal to noise performance
for contesting ... with a user interface that functions more like CW or
SSB or RTTY contesting ... if someone with the right background would
just jump in and do it.  I guarantee that it is possible because neither
the science nor the programming is unique, but as I say I'm completely
losing faith that it will ever happen.

73,
Dave   AB7E