[CQ-Contest] : Physics of 2 Keyboard SO2R

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Mon Jul 12 19:35:03 EDT 2021

Thanks for your thoughts Dmitri, Frank, Steve, Mark and others.  I remember ~17 yrs ago when I built this huge multi-layered desk (you can see part of it on my qrz.com page) that I made it so the surface was @ 29.375” and then at the very last minute, when it was still being built, I (stupidly) put 2.625” tall wheels on it.  There’s not even any room to move it anywhere in the shack, so there it sits.  Landlocked with wheels.  So now it’s 32” high.   I read on an old thread here from 2012 that 29-31” surface height is ideal.

  I think that is only part of the problem however as I usually don’t get too sore in contests looking at my one screen at an optimal height.  It’s doing the Chubby<Mike>Checker twisting motion doing 2BSIQ that I only ever notice it. (exacerbated by the desk height of 32” which is too tall for a short guy like me I think)

I can no longer really access the bottom of the legs/posts because the desk with all equipment probably weighs 300-500lbs, and the bottom of the feet are only 2.5” off the ground due to the wheels, so what I think I’ll do as a first step is modify the desk to be jacked up with my Harley motorcycle jack, saw the bottoms of the legs off (wheels still attached) and then install furniture leveler (feet) so that I can make it height adjustable from about 28.725” - 30” in the future .(maybe even 28.5”- 29.75”)

I know this won’t 100% solve the problem, but it’s a good first step and is sure to help.

I do have a 2-tiered wooden footstool I made, under the desk I use when contesting.

My mouse is very small (1/2 the size of normal mice) and I endeavour to never (ok, vy seldom) use it during a contest, but at times I do get bored as the CQ machine does its thing and will go off and browse email or see where the sun is near Japan or whatever, or a window will overlap another window in N1MM+, so do use it a little). I did try putting it on top of the right radio, but I didn’t notice any difference of having the KB’s 2 or 3” closer and it was always a pain to reach up for the mouse…. I do have paddles up on top of the right radio but only use them very seldom.

Mark, in a previous life I was a taxi dispatcher and got used to using the # pad for entering #’s all day long, so would hate to lose this…especially in serial # contests like CQWPX…..although you do make a good point.

Another thing someone suggested privately is learn to type on the left KB with my left hand and the right with my right.  Hmmm, I hadn’t given that much thought, but it’s a “maybe” if lowering the desk makes no real difference.

VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB