[CQ-Contest] Remote Operating - Cross County

Michael Walker va3mw at portcredit.net
Wed Jul 14 09:40:58 EDT 2021

Hi Edward

The challenge is, of course, the regulations have not kept up to
technology.

In Canada, I had an Radio Inspector describe remote HF operation as a long
Mic cord.  There are no laws that say the operator has to be sitting in the
same room as the radio station.  You are still governed by the laws based
on the location of the physical transmitter.

Reciprocal licensing only comes into play if you want to use your callsign
while operating from a foreign country.  It does not apply if you are guest
operating (which is what this is).  In fact, you can be a guest operator
without having a license as long as another correctly licensed ham is in
complete control of the station.

73, Mike va3mw