[CQ-Contest] Laptops for mobile....

Michael Dinkelman mwdink at gmail.com
Fri May 28 13:23:53 EDT 2021

This is about contesting...  mobile contesting

The laptop I use for mobile is nearing its end after about 10 years
of general use  and mobile. Now just mobile as I didn't care about
OS  (it's WIN8) as long as it ran N1MM+. But it has become
unreliable even after full factory resets.

My main laptop, a high powered workstation is great, but not so good for
mobile. It doesn't have a mobile supply for vehicle use and while I have
tried
quiet inverters, the real noise from battery charging seems to be
internal  to
the laptop.

It would be good to find a reliable laptop that can run off vehicle
power (even with a dedicated
accessory supply). It doesn't need to be a workhorse and cheaper would
be great. It just
needs to run N1MM+ and not generate  RF on it's own. Unfortunately,
cheaper may mean less
RF suppression and susceptibility. I'd appreciate comments from folks
who actually run laptops mobile.
(I can look at specs all day on the web but that  doesn't tell you much
until you turn it on in
a vehicle.)

cheers
dink, n7wa