[CQ-Contest] Spoofed Self spots

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Mon Nov 1 22:29:55 EDT 2021

While it may not be possible to figure out who the "bad guy" is, it would be interesting to note where these bogus "self spots" originated from.
If nothing else, if it can be shown that WX3XYZ, WX4XYZ, and P51ZYX etc. were all "self spotted" from the same IP address, and said IP address does not correspond to one that each (let alone all) of those operators could or would normally use... then it is proof that a mischief maker was sowing mischief, providing plausible deniability to any accusation of self-spotting.
(IE, if someone has the idea to use these "spots" to make accusations, a simple analysis should show why they are more likely to be bogus.  Sad to say, trust is not what it used to be, in the contesting ranks)
I strongly suspect that some anti-contest klown figured out that this would be a good way to rile many of us up, point fingers at each other, and worse... all to sew disruption amongst us, and have a little malicious fun in the process.  Let's spoil that "fun" and nip this one before things get out of hand.
(And if we ever catch the perpetrators?  Well, how many of you know the real usage of a Wouff Hong and a Rettysnitch on Lids, none of which can be discussed on the reflector... if you know what, then you know why... )