[CQ-Contest] CQ WW DX SSB Midwest vs East Coast

Pete Chamalian w1rm at comcast.net
Sun Nov 7 15:35:15 EST 2021

Ray, some thoughts...

Are you both using the same spot source?  By that I mean are you both connected to the same telnet station?  Not all telnet stations are interconnected so it is possible that you are not getting the same spots your friend is.

There is no question that there is a difference in propagation between W9 and W4.  I'm in central Connecticut and I see a difference between what I can hear and what the guys in Boston hear.

Beam height is important but elevation more so.  And what is in your near field?  You can be at 1000 feet asl but if you have a mountain to your northeast (EU) that's 1200 feet asl, you are going to have a problem with EU.

Spots on Phone are reliant on stations making them.  Spots on CW come mainly from the RBN (reverse beacon network) and skimmers.  There are no skimmers for SSB (yet).

Hunting for multipliers is an art.  Picking off spots is easy (point and click) but no guarantee you are going to get 'em all.  Careful tuning can pay dividends.  Besides, spots tend to attract attention and can be harder to work.

Pete Chamalian, W1RM
W1RM at Comcast.net