[CQ-Contest] CQ WW DX SSB Midwest vs East Coast

ktfrog007 at aol.com ktfrog007 at aol.com
Mon Nov 8 07:51:40 EST 2021

Hi Ray,

I'm by no means a propagation expert, as has been frequently pointed out by others when I post, but:

Location makes a big difference.     Libertyville, IL   42N   88W       Richmond, VA   38N  77W

You might want to set your locations and, say, central Germany, into VOACAP and see what it says under the propagation conditions at the time of your activity.  Set antenna parameters, too. The propagation wheel is particularly fun to look at.

You can also use HamCAP with IonoProbe (both by VE3NEA) for simpler but more convenient comparisons.

There are various other propagation aids out there.  An interesting one is an MUF map by KC2G at https://prop.kc2g.com

Look at the great circle paths on an azimuthal map.  Paths that go farther north toward the pole are usually worse.  Paths over the equator are better.

Skip distance matters and the number of hops. Sometimes your best skip distances (including multi-hop) may just not put you in the proper place.  Some say this is a problem with the Midwest Black Hole generally.  You end up out in the ocean somewhere.

You and your friend can go on CW at the same time and look at the Reverse Beacon Network to see how your signals compare at different distances and directions.  Just call CQ and wait a minute.

In addition, you are facing the whole East Coast wall, including those south of Richmond, plus the eastern Canadians (VE3 to the  Maritimes), while your friend is facing mostly the Northeast USA Wall.

I suppose a myriad of other factors enter in.  Antennas, terrain, operators, spotter locations, spot quality and filtering, local noise floor.

Someone will correct my mistakes here, so pay attention to any follow up posts.

This sounds like fun to research.  Good luck.

73,
Ken, AB1J