[CQ-Contest] {CQ-Contest] CQ WW DX SSB Midwest vs East Coast

dimitri cosson dimitri.cosson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 13:41:17 EST 2021

Hi Barry,

Barry, W2UP wrote :
<<<You guys are missing the most important point: the duration of the opening
to Europe.  That's where QSO points come from, because there's virtually an
endless supply of Europeans to work.
Start with the high bands.  Sunset in Europe is a constant for US ops.
[...]
Let's assume the band opens at sunrise and a decent station is making 3
QSOs/minute with EU.  Jonesport has already made 60 QSOs as the band is
just opening in Phila.  And so on.  And of course, the opening is also
stronger and deeper for the shorter paths.  The EU high band opening closes
at the same time for everyone, as darkness crosses the EU continent.>>>

You're missing something Barry : the propagation in the real world...
Here is a RTTY test, using 100W, 3 L, on 15m. Look the RBN reports and form where it comes from :

OE9GHV OH8FKK   7043.0  RTTY CQ 19 dB  45 bps 1706z  09 Nov
WZ7I        TM3Z      21086.5  RTTY CQ   10 dB  45 bps 1659z  09 Nov
WE9V      TM3Z      21086.4  RTTY CQ  20 dB  45 bps 1658z  09 Nov
KO7SS    TM3Z      21086.5. RTTY CQ   25 dB  45 bps 1658z  09 Nov
W6YX.   TM3Z      21086.5  RTTY CQ  20 dB 45 bps 1658z  09 Nov
K1TTT.   TM3Z      14099.1  RTTY CQ  22 dB 45 bps 1657z  09 Nov

17.00z, it's now dark in central France, and not a single dB heard by K1TTT in MA on 15m, just a little 10db from PA and... west coast.
Remember you, humans think that it's always greener in the neighbor's meadow

73 de Dimitri F4DSK / TM3Z