[CQ-Contest] N1MM Embrace of Self Spotting - and history files

jpescatore at aol.com jpescatore at aol.com
Thu Dec 1 06:39:42 EST 2022

I wasn't happy when the N1MM Logger software made it so easy to use history files. When I was remote opping K4VV in VA, the percentage of ops busting my exchange in domestic contests and in ARRL DX would go from below 10% to over 30% when I was sending VA instead my usual MD. It was very obvious that many were not copying at all.
But, then I looked at the calls with the high bust rates and it was pretty clear it was hardly anyone in the top ten lists of the contest results. Good operating includes accuracy, not just run rates and good operating results in higher scores.
So, I kinda came to the realization that the contest software groups shouldn't be the arbiters or interpreters of whether rules are good or bad, that is up to ever op to either take advantage of rule changes or not, and to try to influence contest sponsors to change rules or not.
I did a bit of lobbying to the CW Ops organization that use of history files in CWTs should be prohibited, since CW Ops is a CW proficiency club! No dice, so I lost interest in the CWTs.
Self spotting in CW contests would just be .1 db on top of the RBN feed. In SSB tests, there is obvious benefit but obvious risks. It will likely be no big deal but if is a negative to you, let the contest sponsor know.
At least self spotting in SSB should result in fewer busted spots! I played in SSB SS as W3EAX, University of Maryland club station and had a dupe deluge when someone spotted me on Sunday as W3AEX.
Oh, and I also adjusted the CK from 32 to 33 after someone in the club found evidence that the club started in 1932 but the W3EAX license dates to 1933 - will be fun to look at the busted exchange rate!
73 John K3TN