[CQ-Contest] Contest Burnout

Gerry Hull vy1aaa at vy1ja.ca
Tue Dec 6 15:10:19 EST 2022

I understand, Pete.   It's only been 40 or so years of contesting for me,
and often worry about burnout.
Different from most, I have spent the majority of my contest career as a
multi-op operator.   For a zillion reasons,
I've never had the opportunity to build a really competitive station of my
own.
So, I fight burnout by helping to put together new and interesting contest
teams.    We all know the formula to put tried-and-tested teams together,
but how do we integrate new people in the mix?   I love technology, and
have found ways to allow remote operators to effectively
communicate and compete, while operating from very disparate (operator)
locations.  This provides new and interesting challenges.   In the past few
years,
we put together some Multi-Multis, with all ops remote.   I included people
with a wide level of skills.  It worked very
very well.   I also have been operating from around the world without
having to leave my shack.   It's not for everyone, but it is certainly
enlightening to
learn propagation from another country or continent.

It is easy to get stuck in a rut doing the same things over and over
again.   However, the great thing about this contesting part of our hobby
is that there
are still many many facets to explore!

73,

Gerry W1VE