[CQ-Contest] Contest Burnout

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 13:12:00 EST 2022

 I have so much going on in my life these days that I find it difficult to
spend much time in a contest. I was out of town over the SS Phone weekend
and had to miss that one completely.

I have been a participant in most of the major VHF+ contests for decades. I
usually have been setting up masts and antennas for about 10 bands as a QRP
Portable. That involves putting guy ropes up for each of two masts. It was
worth it when I had a lot of stations to work. It seems the number of
people in these contests is diminishing, though. I don't do FT8. I've been
finding only a handful of stations to work recently. I am thinking I'm
getting too old to keep putting up all those masts and antennas, especially
when I'm only going to work a small handful of stations. If I should get
into the situation where I could afford a van and set up the antennas on
it, it would be a lot less time and effort setting up. I may even be able
to do some Rover operations. We'll see what happens.

73, Zack W9SZ