[CQ-Contest] Contest Burnout

Kevan Nason knason00 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 10:27:28 EST 2022

You will never regain the excitement of your first love, first car, first
time diving a coral reef, or first decade of contesting. It just isn’t
possible. “Nothing” is my standard answer to non-contesters who ask,
“What’s fun about saying 5905 a thousand times in a row?” I’ve only a third
to a half of the BIC contesting time you older folks have but have also
felt contesting wasn’t as fun as it used to be. I find excitement in the
other stuff people mentioned. Self-improvement, learning new things, and
helping others. But what can you learn new after 60 years? I don’t know you
so have no idea.

Although many say Assisted operating isn’t “real” radio, learning how to
maximize the benefits of technology to help S&P operation has been very
satisfying and rejuvenated my interest in contesting. I first began
learning those skills as a mult operator at a multi-multi. Sure, being in
the zone while running is fun. But, speaking generally, being competitive
as a low power and primarily S&P operator requires more thinking and
involvement than running did while using 1500 watts into a 3 ele 40-meter
beam at 135 ft. (They pushed me to run more, but I resisted.) Maybe S&P
operation won’t thrill me in another 20 years, but for now Little pistol
S&P operating keeps me interested in the process of making a radio contact.
If it begins to get boring I’ll look elsewhere. Propagation prediction
tools seem to have exploded the last few years and I’ve begun exploring
them. The talk by CT1BOH about using FT8 spots fascinated me. And I’m just
moving towards learning what ViewPROP has to offer. I love to operate with
several windows open and watch how prediction and reality meet – or not.
I’m certainly not an expert compared to many of you and some have said
presentations I give are simplistic, but many newer contesters have told me
they have appreciated and learned from them because they are targeted at
their level. I like to share what I’ve learned just as my contesting
predecessors have shared with me. You undoubtedly have much to share too.

I totally love and live what K6LL shared about his talk with John, K4BAI.
“I remember having a similar discussion with K4BAI a few years ago, and his
view was that if life was better with ham radio, keep on going, doing
whatever you can.  Nobody else pays much attention to what we each do as
individuals, so do whatever provides the most enjoyment for you.” How do
you rejuvenate after 60 years? As has been said, find something new that
you either haven’t done or haven’t looked at in a long time. Odds are
something new has cropped up you weren’t aware of. That will give you
something new to learn or master. Don’t drive the same road. The ruts will
steer you without your hands being on the wheel. Get out of your comfort
zone.

My wife, Eliz, is a very creative contemporary artist. Creative in the
sense that even though she is self-taught several college art professors
have had her talk to their classes about the creative process. She has a
sign on her studio wall that says, “Fail harder.” She preaches “Don’t worry
about what other people think”. As was said by K3PA, try something silly
just for the experience. You’ll prove yourself right that you hate it, feel
indifferent about it, or possibly find you’ve learned something new and
interesting. Eliz is always switching mediums and styles. It keeps her
creative juices flowing – and she very often finds thinking differently in
one medium opens up new ways of thinking in another.

I like the idea of a contest involving more strategy, but that won’t
immediately solve your personal issue.

Good luck.

Kevan N4XL