[CQ-Contest] Contesting/Computer glasses?

Michael Adams mda at n1en.org
Fri Feb 18 10:33:42 EST 2022

The problem I run into is that a few of the monitors I use in my shack/office are at that awkward distance where neither "distance" nor "reading" lenses really work, begging the use of progressive or trifocal lenses, or a third pair of glasses (or, perhaps, rearranging the screens).

There is a brand of lenses out there where the manufacturer tweaks filtering of different wavelengths of light for different activities.   I'm not enough of a visual connoisseur to appreciate the differences, but apparently some hardcore enthusiasts of such activities swear by them.

One of the activities so-targeted is computer gaming.   I did have the opportunity to try a pair of glasses with such lenses, and I can confirm that it was marginally easier to pick up subtleties on images displayed on a monitor, and it seemed plausible to me that they might be a little more comfortable for extended use.  However, I'd be hard pressed to tell how/why they might be better than regular lenses tinted to block a little blue light, and I don't know that the optimization they were trying to achieve is really that useful for contesting.

Michael Adams | mda at n1en.org