[CQ-Contest] "500-meter circle" rule question

jimk8mr at aol.com jimk8mr at aol.com
Mon Feb 21 16:06:23 EST 2022

I'll leave it to contest sponsors for the final word, but I'd think you are over-interpreting. If you're doing a rover/mobile operation, you're unlikely to have the big antennas and perhaps the big amplifiers that a big fixed station would have, so your small score won't be noticed by the serious competitors. Nobody will care much if your 500 meter circle moves. Just don't try catching a red eye (or getting a remote rent-a-station) to the other coast to get on from a different big station to pick up those tough multipliers.

For normal contests you might also run into issues if you're crossing state or CQ/ITU zone lines during the contest. Most contests haven't addressed that issue as it has seldom or never arisen, at least among competitive entries.

But from much experience, mobile or rover operation in a state QSO party is great fun! I hope you have the chance to try it some day.

73  -  Jim   K8MR