[CQ-Contest] "500-meter circle" rule question

John Owens john at lorien.org
Tue Feb 22 15:20:18 EST 2022

Thanks, all, for the responses. Glad to know that the rule isn’t trying to disallow mobile operation; that will increase my participation in future contests.

To answer a few specific points from a couple of the replies:

> Just don't try catching a red eye (or getting a remote rent-a-station) to the other coast to get on from a different big station to pick up those tough multipliers.
> For normal contests you might also run into issues if you're crossing state or CQ/ITU zone lines during the contest. [….]
> But from much experience, mobile or rover operation in a state QSO party is great fun! I hope you have the chance to try it some day.
> 73  -  Jim   K8MR

Absolutely! Unless a contest specifically allows it, I would assume that I can’t move over a line that would change my exchange. So for most contests, I would need to stay within California or within my ARRL section (SCV). And yes, I do enjoy the mobile/rover operation when I’ve done it – I came in as #3 Mobile in the CA QSO Party covering 5 counties, and I’ve participated as a Limited Rover entry in several of the ARRL VHF contests.

> Why would you move once you were established?
> Ralph K9ZO

There’s a lot of RF noise in my neighborhood and I don’t yet have a permanent home antenna setup, so I usually operate away from home. For multi-day contests especially, I might want to setup in one location one day and a different location the next. I particularly enjoy combining POTA and contesting, so I’ll operate from various parks over the course of a weekend. Also unless I’m camping, most parks around here close at sunset, so I might want to go somewhere else to continue operating after dark.

Hope to catch you all in my logs at some point. 73!

    Cheers,
    -John N6JSO