[CQ-Contest] Scandanvian propagation question

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Mon Jan 31 09:47:36 EST 2022

I have experienced this many times on 6m..K1TOL and I nicknamed it "Arctic
Es", but it's often influenced by the Auroral zone, so it's probably more
accurately described as Auroral Es (even if the K is at a mere "2" it can
happen.( I've heard and worked OX, JX7, TF,  JW and SM/OH on 6m in the
summer.)  We used to monitor 48.250+/- and 49.750+/- from that part of the
world (vy HP TV video qrg's) and it would surely surprise any normal HF op,
to know how often the band was open at those higher frequencies, most often
in the summer..and in the fall up to the 10m band.

This phenomenon takes HF operators quite by surprise, so there's not quite
so many to work, except in the really big contests.

I did 15m single band in CQWW SSB and CW and even though 15m was "meh".(&
really could've been much better) I did work a handful of astute and sharp
Scandinavians on both modes long after their sunset and even approaching my
own SS, when I was working West Coast and Pacific.

Mike VE9AA FN66 (NB)

Mike, Coreen & Corey
Keswick Ridge, NB