[CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 239, Issue 8

kg5u at att.net kg5u at att.net
Thu Nov 10 13:39:45 EST 2022

Hi, Scott.
Years ago, I made my own footswitch. I've used it at my station at a couple
of other stations and found it to be the perfect footswitch.
Components: two small 1" diameter, 2" long springs; two pieces of 1x6x18
wood (sanded and finished the surfaces--I do a lot of literally barefoot
operating); an 18" piano hinge; two momentary switches.

Go to Amazon.com and enter 'micro limit switch' om the search field.
https://a.co/d/i2XMTqq
The switches with the roller lever arm look good to me; my switches are just
the blade type, but it's never had a problem.

To mount the switches, I made up 2 pieces of scrap metal as mounts for the
two switches.
I placed the two switches about 8" in from the board ends.
I wired the switches in parallel (N.O. and common) to a 5' cable-using it in
one location only, I'd just cut it to reach.
Adjust the position of the switch mounts for a comfortable angle of the
upper board.
I also added a block of wood at each end of the top of the bottom board as a
limit to depression of the upper board.
Adjust the spring position location to give positive return to open the
momentary switches.
I also put thin rubber strips under the front and back edges of the bottom
board to minimize sliding.
I never have to cast about under the table with my foot trying to find the
PTT footswitch.
73
Dale, kg5u

Message: 1