[CQ-Contest] QSO Party Rules

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Sep 20 01:06:43 EDT 2022

On 9/19/2022 6:43 PM, Ron Notarius W3WN via CQ-Contest wrote:
> The primary concern originally raised was that the rules for selected State QSO Parties are written to unfairly influence mobiles to not operate enough if at all on the high bands.
>
> One of the contests in the list of perpetrators was the Pa QSO Party.
>
> I’m very curious as to exactly which “mobile influencing” rules in the event make it suspect.  Because I don’t see any.

I suspect that may be because you don't work state QSO parties.

Stated in my initial post -- the problem is that in-state stations get
multipliers for in-state counties.

The way most of these parties work, mobiles get another mult for each
state they work for each county from which they work them. If a mobile
works me from 20 counties on 2 bands, we each get 40 mults; if he works
KA6BIM (in OR) from 25 counties on 2 bands, they both get another 50
mults. And so on.

An important part of contesting is station building and optimization.
 From CA, I can work the best equipped mobiles on 80 in states like TX
because both of us have worked hard on antennas. Ditto for 40 during the
day.

And the goal is not "fairness," it is to improve the contest by making
it more fun for out-of-state stations, thus giving in-state stations
more stations to work. As Duffey said quite well, you alternate between
bands that are open each time you hit a new county. W0BH did a masterful
job of this in a GAQP several years ago, hitting a huge number of
counties, a multi-op, I think, both CW and SSB. When 40 was productive,
he'd hit 20 for 5-15 minutes, then head down to 40.

Good out of state ops keep checking the operating frequencies (and
spots) of the various mobiles running between counties, and are ready to
pounce when they hit a new county. That's the fun of these contests. Few
mobiles, not a lot of fun.

In CQP, for example, 58 mults for in-state stations are States and
Provinces, 58 mults for out-of state stations are CA counties, and
everyone can work everyone. Not a lot of mobiles here -- the counties
are far too large, so we work hard to have all counties covered by fixed
or portable stations.

73, Jim K9YC