[CQ-Contest] Antenna analyzers

Barry Jacobson bdj at alum.mit.edu
Tue Feb 7 09:23:42 EST 2023

Hi Jim, I think what it boils down to is the amount of time and money (and
physical agility to climb ladders) to achieve perfection. Here is an
article from the ARRL itself extolling ladder line dipoles:

http://www.arrl.org/random-length-multiband-dipoles#:~:text=Feed%20the%20dipole%20in%20the,connect%20it%20to%20your%20tuner
.

As far as books go, I agree that study is essential. I bought the ARRL
Intro to Antenna Physics which I think is excellent and plan to read in
detail.

Another solution may be trap dipoles that are resonant on multiple bands.
Don't know how they compare with fan dipoles.

But I have had decent results using my simple ladder line 80m dipole on
many bands. I check signal strength on RBN. Just trying to optimize 10
meters now, and think I will cut off 1/8 wave and see if it tunes. But
first want to try EZNEC, and see if it gives insight, and maybe get an
antenna analyzer if I can afford.

Thanks for writing.

Barry WA2VIU

--