Timestamps in CT .BIN files

Robert A. Wilson n6tv@vnet.IBM.COM
Thu, 24 Feb 94 15:35:58 PST

So CT only uses time() and localtime().  Interesting.  One would
think such values would be GMT if your PC clock was set to GMT.
But this may not be the case if no environment variables were
set to tell the run-time TZ=GMT.  Time() might return 7 hours
offset during daylight savings time and 8 hours during standard
time, because it assumes Pacific Time.

I tried to measure the output using old .BIN files.  My '92 SS CW log
is 7 hours off, and my '92 SS Phone log is 8 hours off.  I can't
explain this.  The CW log was written in Nevada, and the Phone log in
Calif.  I believe I used CT Version 7 back in 92, then converted the
log to CT8 format with 7to8.  The Daylight Savings Time change
at the end of October may have something to do with this 1 hour
difference, but both logs were made during Standard Time, so it's
puzzling.

What does the 7TO8.EXE program do when it converts CT Version 7
.bin files to CT8 format?  Does it do anything to the timestamps?
Was 7to8 written with Borland or Zortech?

What about b2r and b2r8?  Do they just use localtime(timestamp)?

73,
Bob, N6TV