Filling in the zone

Robert A. Wilson n6tv@VNET.IBM.COM
Thu, 13 Oct 94 11:40:24 PDT

CT puts in the zone when you hit the space bar if you have worked that
station before on another band.

If you have never worked the station, the zone will get filled in for
you only after you hit Enter (which means you may have to go back and
fix it if CT guessed at the wrong zone).  K3EST claims the CQ committee's
computers will throw out a QSO if you log the wrong zone.

Just hit enter for most DX QSOs, but log the zone for U.S. QSOs and
"multiple zones possible" QSOs.

The numeric keypad is very handy for entering zones, since the plus
key is right there.  You hold down the shift key to log the zone, then
press + to send TU QRZ.  Or, set NumLock on if you have separate arrow
keys and you don't use the arrow keys on the numeric pad.  (We're
talking full 101-key keyboard here folks.)

I wonder how many people know that holding down the shift key temporarily
puts the numeric keypad in numeric mode?  Been that way since DOS 1.0,
I believe.

73,
Bob, N6TV