band map updates

K3NA@aol.com K3NA@aol.com
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 19:36:03 -0500

K7UPJ notes:

> Cannot transfer band map entries between RUN and MULT.   The
> band map is a great feature and it sure would make for more efficient
> operation if both rigs could see the same band map.

We noted this at W3LPL but actually considered it to be a feature, not a bug!
 In general:
a) any bandmap entry made by using Ctl-Enter would show up ONLY on that
computer... none of the other computers in the network would receive the infor
mation.
b) bandmap updates made by working a QSO would also show up ONLY on the
computer used to log the QSO.

Our solution was to go with the flow:  put EVERYTHING out as a packetcluster
spot!  This worked GREAT!  In both ARRL contests W3LPL alone put out almost a
thousand spots in each contest.  This meant that every other PVRC and FRC
contester in the SOA, MM, M2, and MS category had a current bandmap whenever
they started operations on the band in question.  It was a great improvement
interstation cooperation for our clubs.  (Yes, we have been leaving the
cluster network interconnected between FRC and PVRC in recent years.)

Aggressive spotting also seemed to help REDUCE cluster-induced massive
pileups... there were so many stations spotted that people tended to spread
out more amongst the various pileups.  It was almost like having a
manually-created spectrum display of the band.  This made EVERYONE more
efficient in finding NEW stations to work!

So.... I'd like to suggest the following:

Ctl-Enter should automatically generate a packet spot (except for single op
UNassisted).

=================

Now for the REAL bug:

Here is the bug-illustrating scenario:
a) work a station and log it.  The BandMap gets updated and displays the
station's exchange (power) in the map.
b) use Alt-F3 to generate a spot.  When the spot comes back from the cluster
network, the BandMap is update... but the display of the station's power
disappears!!!

In general, one could also type in the call of a station, hit Space to see
that it was a dupe (and reveal the station's exchange), hit Ctl-Enter to
update the BandMap...  The time would be updated and the station exchange
would again show up in the BandMap.  Unfortunately, as soon as a packet-spot
was received for that station, the exchange data again disappeared.

Recommended solution:  when a spot is received from the network (cluster, log
entry from another computer on the same band), CT should display the
station's exchange data if that station has already been worked on the band
in question.  The exchange data can be looked up from the previously-logged
QSO.

This will help us use the exchange info to sanity-check our assumptions about
who is running on a particular the frequency.

-- Eric K3NA

k3na@aol.com

--
Submissions:              ct-user@eng.pko.dec.com