[ct-user] Re: CT and the new Dell Computers

P & V Nesbit P & V Nesbit <pnesbit@melbpc.org.au>
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:42:29 +1000

At 10:00 20/08/97 +0100, Peter Chamalian <W1RM@snet.net> wrote:
>I've been working with W1BIH to unravel a problem with his new Dell.
>The machine is pure Windows 95 (Pentium Pro II 266mHz screamer!)
>The problem is that CT won't talk to the OMNI. Here's the strange part:
>other programs talk to the ONMI OK. Other computers talk to the OMNI
>running the same version (9.10) OK. K1EA says it's an IRQ problem...

This is the second time this week that I've heard of IRQ problems with a
fast Pentium (the other one had nothing to do with CT).

Are motherboards being produced which are finicky with respect to IRQ
timing? One would hope not, but then, who knows what goes into all those
clones, at least from Asia? A couple of clone boards I've bought over the
years have been real bummers, so much so that I've long since decided that
the higher price of a genuine Intel board (or similar good US brand) is
money well spent.

I hope others don't mind me raising this fairly generic computer question
in the CT forum.

Peter VK3APN
pnesbit@melbpc.org.au

WWW:                      http://www.ve7tcp.ampr.org/Software/ct