[ct-user] Memory Fault - HELP!

Alan C. Zack Alan C. Zack" <k6acz@earthlink.net
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 07:43:52 -0800

I had the same problem but not with the memory part.  I downloaded both 9.36
(DOS) and 9.36 (Win95 Beta) from the CT Vault along with the latest country
and master data files.  It seemed something was strange because the file
size for the Win95.exe version was much smaller than the DOS version.  I
unzipped them and installed them in different partitions of my HD (with
different drive letters) because both versions have the same .exe file
name.  When I started the DOS version with a log file name of TEST
everything worked fine.  I checked if my country files had updated correctly
and if my MASTER.DATA also loaded OK to check partials, they had.  I made a
few test log entries and all worked OK.  I closed it out OK and deleted the
TEST.BIN file that I had just made on that drive. Great, ready for WPX!  I
then went to the drive with the Win95 version.  It started up OK and on the
very bottom of the screen it stated Win95 9.36 Beta (or something close to
that).  I checked the country files and if MASTER.DATA loaded up OK, they
did.  But then when I tried to do some test logging the problem came up.  I
could type in a call and MASTER.DATA would check it for partials like it
should.  But when I would hit <ENTER> to log it nothing would happen.  It
wouldn't show a time, wouldn't go to the next line for the next contact,
wouldn't show any points, etc.  I decided to just stick with the DOS version
and let the experts try to fix the Win95 version.  I did not have any
problems with memory or the computer locking up.  One thing I learned was to
be careful with these two .EXE files because they both have the same name
and if you try to install both on the same drive they will overwrite each
other.  The only way I found around this was to install them on different
drives and just remember which drive has the DOS version and which one has
the Win95 version.  You might try to be sure you are working with the DOS
version and not the Win95 Beta version.  BTW, in opening each I just
selected their respective drive from the MY COMPUTER box and double clicked
the .EXE file icon.  When I do the DOS one for real I will start from a F8
DOS only boot.  Hope this helps.  73 and will look for you in the WPX!