[ct-user] Called-In Spots to Packet

Gilmer, Mike Gilmer, Mike" <mgilmer@gnlp.com
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:09:21 -0500

I noticed in ARRL CW that a lot of spots were made apparently for
stations that "called-in" to a CQ.  I say this because, for example,
several times EA8IN (I think) was spotted (all over the band at
different times) and when I went to the frequencies, I always found a
stateside station running.  In the past (years ago?!), a called-in spot
seemed like a good idea to announce to all that some decent multiplier
(JY1 for example) was running around answering CQs and perhaps for a
little bragging rights, too.  I seem to remember that the running
station would just spot the caller at, say, 14000.00 and everyone
(sooner or later) figured out that a frequency like that meant it was a
called-in spot.  However, I've noticed in CT (9.39), with a radio
interfaced to it at least, that one cannot edit the frequency or the
call, just add notes to the end of the spot.  The BandMap however, does
not use these notes, so EA8IN would get spotted on the CQer's run
frequency and show up in several (useless) places in the BandMap.  I'm
sure the Packet Callout Window (Announce Window from a previous life?)
would do the same thing.

Is there an unwritten or otherwise rule regarding the spotting of
called-in stations?  Or do we just have to tolerate these (admittedly
rare) distractions?

Mike, N2MG
Registered user of CT