[ct-user] Idea for multiple OS support

Michael Walker Michael Walker <mwalker@interlog.com>
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:36:08 -0400

At VA3SK (Corbeil Contest Club http://www.qsl.net/va3sk)  we have been
using CT (and paying for it) since version 7.  We have had the same
discussion about upgrading to Windows, but have still set it aside due to
stability problems.

As an example, we tried WriteLog for the last contest we did.  We had it
networked and seemed to be working OK until we lost power during the
contest.  Of the 2 computers that we had running, one restarted fine, and
the other was flat out dead.  We could not even boot Windows in safe
mode.  So, if we want to continue down this path, we are going to need to
invest in UPS's for each station just to protect us from this possibility.

On the other hand, we have had power failures with CT running and EVERY
TIME it comes back up intact.  Usually in less than one minute.  Our online
logs are priceless.

We run nettsr we wonderful success as well.  If you want details, please
email me directly.

Mike VA3MW

At 10:15 AM 10/11/00 -0400, Kz2i@aol.com wrote:

>am i the only one that sees something wrong with the idea of spending
>hundreds of dollars on new hardware (assuming the shack has the space for it)
>and countless hours to support a $50 software package that is out of date in
>many ways?  add to that the fact that the updates always seem to have
>something broken, and the situation calls for a NEW, from-scratch,
>winders-based app.
>
>ct was the 'cadillac' of contest software at one time, but it now reminds me
>of how i tried to keep my '64 chevy running much longer than i should have.
>i hated to get of that car, but it was unreliable and nickle-and-diming me to
>death.  sometimes it's just time to buy a new car.  too bad there's not a new
>'car' available that will satisfy the needs of the masses.
>
>steve, kz2i
>
>--
>WWW:                      http://www.k1ea.com/
>Submissions:              ct-user@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  ct-user-REQUEST@contesting.com
>Problems:                 owner-ct-user@contesting.com

Mike Walker                          Corbeil Contest Club
VA3MW                                                FN03

CLX Custer - telnet:24.112.78.89 41112       ICQ 13622180
new email address:  mike.walker@home.com