[ct-user] CT 9.92.001 Slow down

K4SB k4sb at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 17 04:20:53 EST 2003

> Although Win98SE and Win2kPro also work fine, I think that sums it up ....
> pretty much anything running under Windows needs a faster processor and
> lots more memory to do what DOS can do.

I just made a post on memory, but the faster processor is simply not
needed. Think about it, you have a machine capable of making
133,000,000 calculations per second. But, it can't run on 16 mb of
memory very well.

One other solution which I have in the shack machine is a 8 GB HD
wired as the secondary master with MSDOS 6.22 on it, along with CT, NA
, packet,ect. ( the main HD and CDROM are the primaries ). Now, you
cannot do a dual boot this way, but you can mount a small
SPDT switch on the back, and route power to which HD you want. When
the switch is down, ( no power is applied to the Windows HD )the
machine boots in MSDOS.

And believe me, with 768 MB of 133 mHz RAM, DOS is fast. I have even
experimented with putting CT, and ALL its file on a ram drive. Works
like a charm. And you wouldn't believe the speed!! Only problem is I
have to tell CT to send about 10 WPM slower that what it's set to. And
of course, when saving the contest file, CT still uses the A drive

73
Ed