[Fourlanders] Planning meeting at Huntsville Fest

Bob Lear k4sz at alltel.net
Wed Aug 6 00:55:09 EDT 2003

Gentlemen, I think we should have a September contest planning meeting
at Huntsville since so many of us are attending the fest.  My proposal
is that we meet (and drink) after dinner Friday evening as some folks
will be leaving Saturday afternoon.  Either at the hotel bar or in one
of our rooms is my suggestion for Friday evening.  Any other thoughts,
let me know.  I'll send another message if I hear from anyone.

Just to get everyone thinking, here is what I think I have heard (or
have made up to torture you):

Sept 2003 VHF QSO Party
W4NH, Fourlanders, EM85jm at Mile High Campground,

6m:  Band Captain, K4EA.  Station, his usual gear; FT990, DEMI xvtr, kW
amp.  Antenna, there are several possibilities this year.  Tower, the
"BlackHawk" tower trailer as usual at around 40'.

2m:  Band Captain, K5AND. Station, FT897, LunarLink Amp.  Antenna(s),
again new possiblities that we'll discuss or the old standby single
2M5WL. Tower, Dick's new "T-Rex" tower trailer 30'.

222:  Band Captain, NX9O.  Station, K2, DEMI xvtr, LunarLink Amp.
Antennas, same as June; long KLM and FM vert beam.  Tower, same as June
the "Green Hornet" Tower Trailer 30'.  Brian will also be bringing his
cargo trailer, "Great White" for three of the operating positions.

432:  Band Captain, W4KXY.  Station, 1000MP, DEMI xvtr (with new higher
output), LunarLink Amp.  Antennas same as June, Stacked Pair of FO25's.
Tower, one of the two on "Radio Flyer" double tower trailer, 30'.

Microwave:  Band Capitan, K4SZ (how did this happen again?).  Stations
not settled yet but two or three IF rigs for 903/1296, 2304/3456 and
5760/10GHz, DEMI xvtrs, the usual 50W on 903, 35W on 1296, 20W on 2304,
25+W on 3456, 7?W on 5760 and 1W on 10GHz.  Antennas:  loopers,
33el/903, 2X45el/1296, 76el/2304, 76el/3456, 2'dish with dual band feed
on 5760/10GHz.  Tower, the other tower on "Radio Flyer", 30'.

Food Band:  Culinary Captain, W4SKI.  We beg and plead for the usual
fine effort from chief cook and operator Paul.  Yeah, let's hear it for
Paul!!!!!!!!!!!

Computers and Networking:  Writelog, Laptops and the usual network
stuff.  Plenty of laptops available at K4SZ if anyone wants to borrow
one to test in their set-up ahead of time.  Let me know.

Generators:  I know we can count on NX9O's 10kW, W4KXY's 5kW and I think
there are a couple of more available and coming to the mountain for
actual or back-up duty. Let me know so we can keep tabs.

Power Distribution:  I think we've had this all worked out before and
just continue to use the same set-ups.

Ground Transportation:  The golf cart will arrive as usual.  I just
realized it doesn't have a contest name yet!  I'll work on that
oversight.  I could install a rig in it and it could be the
"Micro-rover" maybe?!?!

Rover stuff:  We are hoping to have Robin KB4IDC and Jack AB4CR roving
in our area.  I am working on getting gear for Robin to have thru 10GHz
like Jack has.  Robin is also bringing his cargo trailer "Martha White"
on Friday night before the contest so we'll have it for the 432 and
microwave station operating positions as we did in June.  He will then
leave to rove before the contest starts.  No word yet on Jacks
schedule.  Of course, this means Robin won't be one of our ops,
so........

Second ops:  I haven't heard any FIRM commitments yet for second ops for
any of the bands.  We are hoping that K4RF will be able to come and
operate the microwave station as planned.  Other possible ops are:
Marko AK4XX, Russ K7CDJ, Ryan W4RLW, Jeff W0ONR, Ivan K4VJM, Chris
KB4DXR, Johnny K4TW, Bill KD4HLG.  If I've left someone out that was
planning to come with us, don't get mad, get even by coming anyway!!!
That'll show the inept VP!!  Let me know to confirm your plans.

Anyway, hope everyone is eager to get to the mountain top and have a
good time.  Let me know if we have other potential ops.  We do need more
folks to come and help us operate.  No points are generated by idle
radios!!  We've got the gear covered.

The Huntsville meeting is not required, but if you'll be attending the
fest, we'd love to see you and talk about the contest plans.

New folks:  We have written directions on how to get there along with
maps that can be e-mailed.  Just let me know what you need.  We have
plenty of room for parking if you sleep in your vehicle or to pitch a
tent.  Just like to know ahead of time for planning purposes which
you'll do.  Also, we just let Paul know how many will be there for each
meal and he gets all the food for us and we split the pro-rated cost at
the end, along with the cost of renting the campground and generator
fuel.  I can give you an estimate based on what we've done in the past
if you need that.

Web Page:   www.fourlanders.org

See you in Huntsville, 73 Bob  Vice President by pure accident