[Fourlanders] Contest plans update

Bob Lear k4sz at alltel.net
Tue Aug 26 01:30:13 EDT 2003

Sept 2003 VHF QSO Party  September 13th and 14th
W4NH, Fourlanders, EM85jm at Mile High Campground,

Well the planning meeting at Huntsville didn't happen as not enough
folks showed up there.  Neal and I went and had a good time.  We did run
into Kim Hensley WG8S from Huntsville there.  Kim had been at the SVHFS
conference earlier this year and is interested in coming with us to
operate, even after seeing the video at the conference!!  We certianly
hope he'll be able to make it.  We've also been in contact with Russ
K7CDJ from Cumming and he also plans to come with us.  Also confirmed to
be on the mountain is Robins friend Terry (?call) who was with us in
June.  Sean (?call) who was also there in June will go roving with Robin
this time.  Steve K4RF is still planning to come.  Ivan K4VJM will be
able to come for part of the time and we also expect Jeff W0ONR to be
able to make it. Jeff also volunteered to help with the cooking duties.
Still waiting to hear from Ryan W4RLW. Maybe we'll finally have enough
operators, but we still have room for more if anyone else wants to come
with us.

Band news
6m:  Band Captain, K4EA.  Neal has tested the transverters and gotten
some advice from Ray about the 6m station.  Dick hasn't had time to
complete the new stacked antennas for 6 (or 2) so Neal will use one of
the usual antennas for 6m.  Johnny K4TW has also confirmed to be a 6m op
for the contest.

2m:  Band Captain, K5AND.  Dick has tested the amp and power supply on
the air for some time and they are happy together again.  He will use a
single m2 2M5WL for the contest.

222:  Band Captain, NX9O.  No changes.

432:  Band Captain, W4KXY.  Jims transverter is off to DEMI for a power
transfusion of one of the new higher power bricks.  Steve promised to
get it back in time.  K4SZ's transveter is already back from DEMI with
minor repairs made and ready for back-up or primary duty.

Microwave:  Band Captain, K4SZ.  I have settled on two IF rigs.  My
FT920 for 903/1296 and a FT897 for 2304,3456,5760 and 10GHz.  I have
built custom switches to handle the multiple transverters and the
associated keying lines.  Some problems with 5760 gear but I think I'll
get it done.

Food Band:  Culinary Impresario, W4SKI.  Be sure to get in touch with
Paul at pyeager at tektone.net to confirm your meals.  Let him know how
long you will be there.  Maximum is Friday evening dinner thru Monday
morning breakfast.  He needs a count so he'll know how much food to
purchase.  I'll leave it to each of you contact him on your own.  Paul,
send an update sometime to the reflector of all who have signed up for
food so we'll know and also it'll prompt those who haven't to do so.

Computers and Networking:  NO change

Generators:  I haven't heard anything different than Brians and Jims
that we usually have.  Paul was going to check on a rental diesel
generator but I haven't heard anything.  Paul?

Power Distribution:  No change

Logistics:  I may need someone to pull one of the tower trailers from my
place up to the mountain if W4RLW doesn't make it.  It will be the Green
Hornet, the smallest one, which is just a lightweight converted boat
trailer.  Jim and I will pull the other two.  We usually leave from my
place in Dahlonega with a small convoy about 9AM if we can.  That way we
are on the mountain in time to do some trailer and antenna set-up on
Friday afternoon and evening for a head start (that we always need).
I've never had a station ready at 2PM contest time despite my best
plans.  It's about a three hour trip and we stop for lunch somewhere on
the way.

Ground Transportation:  NO change

Rover stuff:  We saw Jack AB4CR at Huntsville and he's still planning to
come and follow the same route that Robin works out although he probably
won't start from the campground.  Sure hope he'll make it.
Robin now has Sean for a rover partner so they are well on the way. I'm
also setting up a three band 2304/3456/5760 rover system with an FT817
IF and a dish with tri-band feed for Robin to take with him.  He's
working on his 10GHz white box.

Second ops:  covered above

Planning meeting:  Since so many of the contest group are going to
Shelby we will probably have an impromptu meeting there about contest
plans and any last minute needs or questions.  I'd say the best time
will probably be during the cookout Saturday evening.  Anyone coming to
Shelby that's not yet in on the VHFers cookout, it's not too late if
you'd like to join us.  Let me know ASAP and we'll get you on the list.
The Shelby meeting is not required, but if you'll be attending the fest,
we'd love to see you and talk about the contest plans.

New folks:  We have written directions on how to get there along with
maps that can be e-mailed.  Just let me know what you need.  We have
plenty of room for parking if you sleep in your vehicle or to pitch a
tent.  Just like to know ahead of time for planning purposes which
you'll do.  Also, we just let Paul know how many will be there for each
meal and he gets all the food for us and we split the pro-rated cost at
the end, along with the cost of renting the campground and generator
fuel.  I can give you an estimate based on what we've done in the past
if you need that.

We'll put out another update after Shelby with any final info or details
about what transpired there.

73 Bob K4SZ